Cabbage Years

Our attempt to grow vegetables using vegan and organic methods.

Monday, June 27, 2011

Blueberries

These blueberry bushes were an impulse buy.  I couldn't resist how healthy and bushy they were, not to mention the fact that they were packed with unripe berries!  I reclaimed a section of our landscaping around the deck and plated them so we'd have easy nibbling access. 

Blueberries like sandy acidic soil.  After I dug up all the surrounding soil, I added coconut husk, cottonseed meal, and wood shavings to add acidity and nitrogen.  After planting, I mulched with more wood shavings.

In order for blueberries to bear fruit they need to cross pollinate with another bush of a different variety.  I'm on the hunt for a few more bushes to round out my berry patch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home